Director of Human Resources
Panoply is looking for a Director of Human Resources to work in the fast-paced, new media environment of podcasting. The Director of Human Resources will report directly to the CEO and work across the company to develop and shape key HR policies, practices and initiatives that support a culture of honesty, excellence and entrepreneurialism across working groups.
About the Company
Panoply is a dynamic, innovative podcasting company with two major focuses—(1) producing and monetizing compelling audio content like the #1 hits Revisionist History from Malcolm Gladwell and The Message from GE Podcast Theater and (2) enhancing Megaphone, the premier technology platform for spoken word audio and a complete end-to-end solution for the distribution and monetization needs of audio publishers.
Working at Panoply means casual dress, a comprehensive benefits package, competitive salaries, and vibrant offices in downtown Brooklyn & Washington D.C. We have a friendly work environment, but coolness under pressure and comfort with short time horizons is a must.
The Director of Human Resources will be wholly responsible for overseeing all of Panoply’s human resources, cultural and hiring needs. This is a unique opportunity for someone who is interested in building out a human resources department at a growing and energetic podcasting start-up.
HR Strategy and Policy:
- Work with the Panoply leadership team to evaluate and create HR strategies that support Panoply’s immediate and long-term goals, and execute and monitor these initiatives.
- Recognize marketplace trends that impact the business and translate these challenges into HR initiatives aligned with the business strategy.
- Provide guidance to managers on workforce strategies and people management best practices.
- Advise on organizational design decisions and collaborate with senior management to plan for immediate and long-term staffing needs, and manage a workforce plan.
- Implement, maintain, communicate and regularly update HR policies and Team Member Handbook with the dual objectives of aligning practices with culture and values, and ensuring compliance.
- Recruitment, Onboarding and Staffing:
- Support managers and new hires through the full recruitment and selection process, and oversee the recruitment and onboarding activity for all team members.
- Coordinate with hiring managers to deliver a consistent onboarding and new hire orientation experience that ensures a consistent understanding of the company culture, processes and practices.
Team Member Relations:
- Ensure consistent practices on team member relations matters.
- Provide advice and counsel to managers, and work directly with managers and team members to assist them in resolving issues.
- Consult with Panoply’s legal department on team member relations matters as appropriate.
- Performance Management:
- Develop, communicate and administer ongoing performance feedback process, including mid-year and annual performance reviews.
- Train and brief managers on effective feedback techniques.
- Design and implement programs and processes to develop skills and knowledge for new and experienced managers.
- Recommend and suggest performance improvement plans and ensure proper and accurate documentation is maintained.
- Compensation, Benefits and HRIS:
- As the local benefits expert, work with Corporate Benefits team to administer company savings and health and welfare benefit plans at Panoply, including communicating benefit plan information and requirements to new employees and at annual open enrollment.
- Maintain all HRIS information for Panoply team members.
- Provide regulatory and other reporting data to Corporate HR team as requested and in a timely manner. Maintain HR records in accordance with regulatory and Corporate audit requirements.
- Work with Graham Holdings’ corporate office to ensure Panoply is meeting corporate governance requirements.
- Keep up-to-date on industry trends and employment legislation to ensure organization's compliance.
- Maintain responsibility for organization compliance with federal, state and local legislation pertaining to employment.
Requirements and attributes of the ideal candidate:
- Minimum of 7- 10 years of progressive business and human resources experience, including prior generalist experience in all areas of HR, preferred.
- Adaptable, analytical and creative with strong communication skills. Able to present information and support decision-making through effective data analysis and storytelling capabilities.
- Strong HR and business acumen with demonstrated success serving as a true HR business partner to leadership, and trusted advisor to staff.
- Superior interpersonal and relationship-building skills. Ability to quickly establish and build effective partnering relationships, maintain confidences, appropriately manage sensitive and confidential information, and inspire trust.
- Ability to manage multiple, conflicting priorities, and lead and work with urgency across all of the business needs.
- Strong technical skills including Excel, PowerPoint. Experience with Google Suite is a plus.
- Experience with HRIS programs, such as Workday.
- Knowledge of stock compensation programs and administration of that program across team members a plus.
To apply please send a cover letter and a résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is based out of Panoply's DC office.
Panoply is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply.
Apply To This Job